An Annual Event for members and their guests held in September
Our 2021 event is Sunday, September 19, 2021, 3 to 5 pm
(2022 date has not been set)
Sky Islands Public High School School Location Map
6000 E. 14th St., Tucson AZ 85711 Google Map
This event has been a Tucson Cactus & Succulent Society tradition for more than 50 years.
Fall is a wonderful time to thin some of the overgrown or tired areas of your garden and shop for succulent garden treasures at the TCSS Good Time Silent Auction.
What can be better than sharing your extra plants while you visit friends and see what treasures
they brought to share. And don't forget about the free ice cream!
Besides the ice cream social, enjoy the great plant sharing at
- The FREE plant table
- The $2 plant table, or go wild at the $5 or $10 tables
- New this year, there will be rescue plants, including Saguaros, in the plant sale area
- And of course the headline Silent Auction
To buy plants at the auction, all you have to do is;
1. Sign in
2. Get a bid number
3. Keep bidding until you hear "PENCILS DOWN, STEP AWAY FROM THE TABLE".
To sell you special plants at the auction, you set the minimum price (to be paid to you). If it goes for more than minimum, the club keeps the difference.
We will run multiple auctions starting at 3 pm.
Please bring your auction plants OR donated plants for the free, $2, $5, $10 tables between 1:00 pm and 2:30 PM.
Don't discount the social aspect of volunteering to be a part of the team that makes the party happen.
View photo galleries taken and uploaded by members. There at least 2 albums of the 2021 Good Time Silent Auction on the Member Photos page.
Saturday Volunteers Needed
The shade structure setup begins at 7:00 am Saturday, Sept 18th until complete (est. 2 hours).
We need four to six (4-6) people to assist with erecting the 32' by 60' shade structure including driving stakes, erecting poles, driving tie down stakes, connect tie-down straps, attach wire cables to poles, and attach shade cloth to cables.
Set up 32 tables for the event. Access is ONLY available through the regular entrance to the school.
We also need a crew to take down the tent and tables when the event is over at 5 pm on Sunday Sept 19th Setup Diagram Link
On Sunday (event day), the plant donations happen between 1:00 to 3:00 pm and the Auction/Sale is 3:00 to 5:00. The event is accessible from the west side of the school via Wilshire Terrace or the regular parking lot and walking around the school to the southwest side. Map Link
Sunday Volunteers Needed
- Registration Table: Four to six (4-6) people for the registration table. Tasks include annotating the registration sheet with the donor's name, the item name, and minimum bid and placing the plants on the auction table. At least one person should be fluent with most cacti/succulent names (or be able to google them on your phone).
- Auction Tables: Three (3) people to annotate and collect bid sheets with winner's number after "pencils down, move away from the table".
- Tally Tables: Four (4) people to hang winning bid sheets on the 'bid string' and annotate the bid winners' number and plant names onto the tally sheets for each winner to take to the cashier after all the auctions are over.
- Sale Tables: Two to three (2-3) people to receive donated plants, apply sales price sticker, and place on sales tables. Assist buyers with questions.
- Free Area: Receive donated plants/items and place in controlled area. Ensure items are not removed prior to 3:30.
- Cashier Sales/Auction Tables: Four to six (4-6) people. Receive sale plants, add the value, and charge appropriate amount via cash, check, or charge.
Receive Auction Tally sheets, charge appropriate amount via cash, check, or charge, and stamp tally sheet "PAID".
- One to two (1-2) people to assign and log bidder's names with bid number.
- Last but NOT least we need a couple of people (bartenders) to staff the ice cream bar.
Putting this show together is FUN. Don't be left out. Contact Doug Rowsell (firstname.lastname@example.org) to join the volunteer crew.